Looking for something to liven up your classical-themed ceremony? Well, what makes a classical wedding seem classical? Music! From the ceremony prelude to your reception and first dance, every couple needs to have a good playlist for their wedding. And what better than one’s specifically suited for classical weddings.
Check out this list of the best songs to play at classical weddings to liven up your ceremony!
Classical Weddings Songs: Prelude Music for the Ceremony
1. “Prelude from Cello Suite No. 1” by Johann Sebastian Bach
This cello piece by Bach would be a great song for a prelude to the ceremony or even for the reception!
2. “Ave Maria” by Franz Shubert
Also known as “Ellen’s Third Song,” this song is a simple prayer sung by a young girl. The expressive tune is very popular and is often used as a prelude or processional song.
3. “Cantique de Jean Racine” by Gabriel Faure
This choral song can be a good pick for the prelude to your wedding ceremony. Its melody is a mix of chorus and organ or piano.
4. “Claire de Lune” by Claude Debussy
This classical song is great for a prelude with the soft, soothing melody of the piano.
5. Lohengrin, WWV 75, Act 2: ‘Gesegnet soll sie schreiten’ (Attacca) by Richard Wagner
This soft melody is almost dreamlike. Whether it’s for a prelude or a processional song, this song is a lovely choice for your classical wedding music.
Classical Weddings: Processional Music
6. “Bridal Chorus” by Richard Wagner
This classical tune is one of the most popular processional songs used for the bride’s entrance. It is the tune everyone knows as “Here Comes the Bride.”
7. “Canon in D Major” by Johann Pachelbel
This song is another ideal processional song! Its elegant melody makes it a favorite for weddings!
8. “Air on a G String” by J.S. Bach
This beautiful song is a favorite for ceremonies. Its melody is perfect for walking down the aisle.
9. “March of the Priests” by W.A. Mozart
Surely to add a touch of sophistication to your wedding, this melodic tune would be perfect as the bridesmaids and groomsmen are walking in.
10. “Carolan’s Concerto” by The Chieftains
Add a little Irish flair to your wedding playlist with this classical processional song.
11. “The Prince of Denmark’s March” by Jeremiah Clarke
This piece by Jeremiah Clarke was originally written for royalty. This song will definitely make your entrance feel regal!
12. “Trumpet Voluntary” by Jeremiah Clarke
This classical wedding song has been heard at a couple of royal weddings. If your wedding is being held in a church this is a good song to walk down the aisle to.
13. “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring” by J.S. Bach
You can make a statement with this choral song! The warm and uplifting pace of this song makes this a popular processional song.
Classical Weddings: Interlude Music
14. “Méditation” by Jules Massenet
This lyrical tune from the opera “Thaïs” would make for a beautiful interlude during your ceremony.
15. “Ave Verum Corpus” by W.A. Mozart
Treat your guests to this angelic tune before or during the ceremony. Its beautiful melody really sets the mood for the ceremony!
16. “Adiago” by Felix Mendelssohn
This beautiful melody would make a lovely interlude for your wedding!
17. “Through the Eyes of Love” by Marvin Hamlisch & Carole Sager
If you have ever seen the film “Ice Castles” you may recognize this song. The soft melody of the piano will a wonderful interlude to your wedding!
18. “Verset” by Leon Boellman
The soft, harmonious melody of the organ is a great choice for the interlude in your wedding!
19. “Still, Still with Thee” by Felix Mendelssohn
This slow piano song makes a great addition to your wedding playlist!
Classical Weddings: Recessional Music
20. “Marche Troyenne, for orchestra from Les Troyens” by Hector Berlioz
This song is also not a usual wedding song, so it too can make classical weddings unique! You may want to use this song as the recessional as the bride and groom are walking out or even the professional as the bridesmaids and groomsmen are coming in.
21. “Wedding Day at Troldhaugen” by Edvard Greig
This fun and lighthearted song is perfect for a couple who are a bit quirky. It will be an entertaining song to play as the bride and groom are announced.
22. “Rondeau” by Jean-Joseph Mouret
This popular tune has been a long-time favorite song for weddings. It would be a great tune to have playing as you are pronounced man and wife!
23. “Procession of Nobles” by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov
This song from “Mlada” is surely going to make your classical wedding unique! Not being well-known, “Procession of Nobles” is not the usual song you would hear at weddings. However, it is a regal and fun way to introduce the newly-weds to the world.
24. “Music for the Royal Fireworks” by G.F. Handel
You’re sure to feel like royalty walking up the aisle to this song!
25. “Wedding March” by Felix Mendelssohn
This song from Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer’s Night Dream” is another well-known wedding song that is often used. The joyful tune is great for the couple’s grand exit as man and wife.
26. “Toccata” by Charles-Marie Widor
This thrilling showpiece is a popular recessional at weddings. With this song, your guests can be sent out in style.
Classical Weddings: Music for the First Dance
27. “The Flower Duet from Lakme (Viens Mallika Sous le Dome)” by Leo Delibes
If you enjoy the opera you may like this piece for your wedding. The song is popular with some weddings whether it is as the first dance or not.
28. “Una Furtiva Lagrima” by Gaetano Donizetti
This song is perfect for a classical slow dance! Feel the romance come alive with this song’s beautiful melody!
29. “The Swan (Le Cygne)” by Camille Saint-Saens
This classical song’s melody flows smoothly and is a wonderful choice for a slow dance!
30. “The Blue Danube Waltz” by J. Strauss II
This song is a classic at any dance. You can play this graceful song as your first dance or as a slow song for your guests.
31. “A Thousand Years” by Christina Perri
For modern classical weddings, Christina Perri’s song, “A Thousand Years” is perfect for your first dance!
32. “Salut d’Amour” by the Mostar Symphony Orchestra
This classical wedding song has a warm melody that makes it a great choice for your first dance.
Classical Weddings: Music for the Reception
33. “Water Music Suite: Air” by G.F. Handel
The ideal song for your wedding celebration! This joyful song is perfect for your reception.
34. “Fur Elise” by Ludwig Van Beethoven
This piece by Beethoven is very well-known. The fast-paced soft, classical melody makes it perfect for the receptions of classical weddings.
35. “Concerto No.1 in E Major, Op. 8, RV 269, “La primavera” (Spring): I. Allegro” by Antonio Vivaldi
This uplifting song is a bit fast-paced and full of merriment!
36. “Divertimentos in D Major” by W.A. Mozart
Set your reception up with a classical tone with this song. With its light melody, this song is sure to entertain your guests without drowning out your guests’ conversations.
37. “Alleluia” by W.A. Mozart
This beautiful opera piece makes for an entertaining song to play at your reception!
38. “Carmen suite No. 2” by Georges Bizet
If you and your guests love to tango, add this song to your wedding playlist!
39. “Gymnopédie No. 1,” by Erik Satie
This song is great for a slow dance! Have a pianist play it live for your reception.
40. “Carmina Burana: O Fortuna,” by Carl Orff
This dramatic piece is perfect for a garter or bouquet toss. The harmonic chorus of this song elevates the suspense and anticipation of the guests.
41. “Vocalise, Op. 34” by Sergei Rachmaninoff
This sweet melody is perfect for a slow dance for everyone at the reception or the couple’s first dance!
Hopefully, you found this classical weddings songs playlist helpful and are looking forward to playing them at your wedding! There are many composers and classical-styled music, so you’re sure to find some that right for you. Enjoy your wedding and have fun listening to these classical songs! Make sure to check out our song list for the father-daughter dance and the garter toss! If you would like to search for more wedding-related ideas, I would suggest checking out our Wedding Ceremony Ideas, Wedding Checklist, and Wedding Ideas.
Help Me Find
- Banquet Halls Near Me
- Barn Wedding Venues Near Me
- Bed and Breakfast Near Me
- Boats and Yachts for Weddings Near Me
- Bridal Shops Near Me
- Cosmetic Dentists and Teeth Whitening Near Me
- Destination Wedding Planner Near Me
- DJ, Band or Musicians Near Me
- Eyebrow Threading Near Me
- Florist Near Me
- Gallery and Museum Wedding Space Near Me
- Honeymoon Wedding Planner Near Me
- Hotel Wedding Venues Near Me
- Limousine and Party Bus Rental Near Me
- Mansions and Estates Near Me
- Mens Suit and Tuxedo Rental Near Me
- Nail Salons Near Me
- Party Entertainment Near Me
- Photographers Near Me
- Tanning Salons Near Me
- Tent and Wedding Rentals Near Me
- Updos and Wedding Hair Salons Near Me
- Videographer Near Me
- Waxing and Electrolysis Near Me
- Wedding Cakes Near Me
- Wedding Catering Services Near Me
- Wedding Ceremony Venues and Wedding Chapels Near Me
- Wedding Favors Near Me
- Wedding Invitations Near Me
- Wedding Officiant Near Me
- Wedding Planner Near Me
- Wedding Registry Near Me
- Wedding Venues Near Me
- Wine or Liquor Store Near Me
Written by Kristen Alley; Contributor: Deesha