The morning of your wedding can be chaotic. It’s so easy to feel caught up in the chaos of your big day and forget some essential, but often overlooked items. Make sure to gather these items ahead of time so that your wedding day isn’t even more stressful than it has to be. This checklist is going to break down some great ideas of items to bring that will help make your wedding day run smoothly and will give you the ability to enjoy it to the fullest!
Wedding Day Kit Checklist
Emergency Hair and Makeup Essentials
Details are so important but are often overlooked when it comes to preparing yourself for your wedding. Preparing ahead of time will help with any unexpected situations. Use this list to be covered on any possible mishap with your makeup and hair.
- Nail Polish (for touch-ups): If you get your nails manicured for your special day, then it is important to have backup nail polish in case it chips or cracks.
- Nail Polish Remover: If your manicure is too far gone to fix, having nail polish remover available to take it off and redo it yourself will be a blessing.
- Nail File/Nail Clippers/Scissors/: Your nail could break at any point during the day. If you’re away from home, it can be hard to find a nail file on the fly. It’s a great idea to pack these ahead of time and also try to smooth out the edges so there’s no snagging your gorgeous dress.
- Bobby Pins and Hair Clips: You always should have some extra bobby pins on hand. These can really come in handy because once the hairstylist leaves, you may be left with nothing to fix your hair if it starts messing up. You can use bobby pins to pin back any loose pieces and keep your hair looking amazing.
- Hair Spray/Hair Products/Comb: This goes along with having bobby pins on hand. You never know what you will need until you need it. Keep your bases covered by having all these on hand.
- Straightener or Curling Iron (for touch-ups): You might need to redo your hair if it’s not holding up because of the weather or humidity. Have these styling tools nearby so that you can redo your hair in case of an emergency.
- Makeup and Makeup Remover: When your makeup artist leaves, make sure you have the essentials available in case something happens. Makeup remover will come in handy at the end of the night and in case your eyeliner runs before you even leave the bridal suite!
- Blotting/Oil Papers: Sometimes your face can get oily but you can’t wipe it off because of your makeup. They make specific oil pads just for blotting out the oil.
- Deodorant/Perfume: Deodorant is a must for a wedding emergency kit. Your big day will be filled with a lot of stress and happiness. Being in a big room packed with friends and family can get stuffy and sweaty fast. Make sure you replenish throughout the night to stay fresh.
- Compact Mirror: A small makeup mirror is perfect if you don’t want to run to the bathroom to make sure your makeup is still good. Just pull it out and do a quick check, then back to the fun.
Wardrobe Malfunction Essentials
Having your bases covered with your wardrobe is key. You want to look and feel your best on your big day. Here is a shortlist of everything you might need to handle unexpected wardrobe surprises.
- Lint Roller: Roll away last-minute stray hairs and lint with a mini lint roller!
- Stain Remover/White Chalk/Baby Powder: These are both great for stain and spill removal. White dresses are hard to keep clean, so add these items to your wedding day kit to ensure a clean look.
- Double-Sided Tape/Super Glue: This can apply to wardrobe issues, decoration problems, and so much more. Throw a small roll of tape or bottle of super glue in your wedding day kit.
- Safety Pins: Safety pins have many uses when it comes to clothing, so be sure to pack some in your wedding day kit!
- Sewing Kit: Any snags or tears in your wedding dress can make you feel like your special day is ruined. Have the solution in seconds by adding a sewing kit to your wedding day kit. Don’t forget to grab some white thread!
- Scissors: Scissors will come in handy to snip away any bothersome threads or tags that may decide to pop out on the big day!
- Extra Pair of Pantyhose: Pantyhose can be very delicate. Keep an extra pair at the ready to change into in the case of any accidents.
First Aid Essentials
First aid is definitely important in an emergency, and shouldn’t be overlooked in the commotion of your wedding day. Anything can happen when you’re under a lot of stress. Nicks and cuts always seem to come up when you’re in the biggest hurry. Spring weddings can also be hard on allergies. Make sure you grab these items for your wedding day kit before you leave the house!
- Prescription Medication: This is any medication you may be on that you need to take daily! Wouldn’t want any unfortunate incidents to occur because you forgot your pills at home.
- Antacids/Pain Reliever (Aspirin)/Allergy Medication: Bring a variety of over-the-counter medications with you as well. You never know when allergies or a headache will hit, so better safe than sorry. Nothing kills the loving mood as much as an unexpected run to the nearest pharmacy.
- Bandages: Add a range of bandages to your wedding day kit! If there is a serious injury, you are probably better off calling professionals, but, for a minor cut or blisters caused by heels, you can be prepared with bandages at hand.
- Disinfectant for Cuts: Be sure to bring some form of disinfectant in the case you need to bandage someone up!
There are a lot of other little things that you should take with you that don’t fit into a specific category, but chances are you’re going to need them. These items are great to include in an overnight bag as well since you will most likely be away from home for a few days. Here is a list of some miscellaneous things that you should be sure to pack in your wedding day kit.
- Moist Towelettes
- Breath Mints
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Feminine Products (Tampons/Pads)
- Contact Lenses or Glasses
- Contact Solution and Holder
- Eye Drops
- Phone Charger
- Extra Batteries for Camera or Charger
- Straws (to drink from to not mess up makeup)
- Extra CD With First Dance Song
- List of Vendors’ Contact Information
- Phone Charger
- Power Bank for Phone
- Printed list of contact information for all vendors (in case you lose or damage your phone)
- Extra Copy of Wedding Vows
Wedding Day Kit: Conclusion
Use this wedding day kit checklist as a guide for prepping before the big day. It will be incredibly helpful to have all your necessities listed in one place to double-check everything before leaving your house on the day of. Have one of your family members or bridesmaids be in charge of going through this wedding day kit checklist with you, so you’re sure you miss nothing. Having these items can help prevent problems before they start! Being prepared is the best way to reduce your stress and ensure you enjoy your special day to the fullest. Don’t forget to print off this article! It’s a built-in checklist for you to shop for and keep!
Written by Brittany Schmidt and Caitlin Connell